Thursday, June 14, 2012

Breakfast at Tiffany's 16th Birthday Party


Before Sadie's party had even started, we were trying to decide what Aubree's 16th birthday party theme should be.  In the meantime her friend had a "Sweet 16" party with Candyland decor...darn, that would've been a good one. "And then I said what about 'Breakfast at Tiffany's' and she I-hi (singing) remember the film..."actually it's one of Aubree's favorite movies, paired with the fact that her name is Aubree which sounds like Audrey, well you get the drift.  So planning mode begins...

Invitations, Aubree looking like Audrey
So we found this table at the Brass Armadillo
we printed off some pictures of the movie
And we decoupaged them on the table.
Homemade Mogpog
1 part water
1 part glue
Our glue was half full, so we just added in the water and shook it...that was perfect!
The finished table, and we re-purposed the chicken wire frame into a "best wishes" note holder.
I found this ceramic purse at a thrift store for $3.00.  A little paint and finishing touches made a nice Tiffany-like accent!
Sadie had to look the part too.  I made her black tutu from strips of black tulle tied to a piece of elastic.  It could've used a few more strips of tulle, but I used the whole roll and wasn't making another trip to Hobby Lobby!
These were my practice petit fours
The liquidy icing is supposed to cover the cake, after spooning and re-spooning I decided I would be pipping the on the icing using Wilton's #14 star tip.
Petit Fours
Prepare cake batter as usual
grease and flour a jellyroll pan
pour the cake batter in the jellyroll pan
bake on 350 for 22 minutes (golden color and springy)
let cool-place in freezer for 1 hour
take out of freezer, cut into shapes, put back in freezer for 1 hour
take out of freezer and remove excess from around the pattern, (no surprise that my girls loved to help with this part!)
decorate with pretty icing and serve :) 

I didn't take a close up picture of the finished product, but here's all the food (breakfast of course) and the petit fours are on the right side.
The top right of this picture is a small chest I painted like the purse, it contained the mints that Aubree made.  My Mom-in-Law made the mini pancakes (plastic shot glasses for syrup) and my Mom made 

homemade poptarts 
prepare pie crust as usual (or open the box, lol!)
roll out the crust
cut cute designs (even number)
fill half with pie filling
cover with plain pieces
smoosh the sides down
brush with milk
sprinkle with sugar
cook on 375 for 18 minutes
take out of oven and top with icing

The big bowl in the picture was filled with bite size biscuits.  We borrowed vintage teacups and saucers from my Sis-in-law and Mom-in-law.  The teacup being for the sausage gravy and the saucer for the biscuits (So they could dip the biscuits in the gravy).
 If you've seen the movie, there are a lot of suitcases around Holly Golightly's place, so we put cupcakes in one suitcase and the wrapped silverware in the other. Notice the teacart, (thanks dad-in-law) I was going to paint it because I was afraid it might clash with the Tiffany Blue...but I ended up liking the darker contrast. The tulle puff balls were made by my Mom-in-law, who was nice enough to take over the job after realizing that I can't cut in a straight line.  We found the perfect shade of Tiffany blue material at Hobby Lobby which I cut (probably also not that straight, lol) into 15 inch squares and hemmed the edges to make cloth napkins.  The material was only $15.00 and about $5.00 for ribbon.  Aubree wrapped them and tied them all herself...Thank you, Aubree!  
Aubree also made the dog and cats masks from pictures we found online, printed out on card-stock, with a wooden stick glued on with rubber cement. We had to put a price on the masks so that the girls could "steal" them, just like on the movie. :)
If you look close you can see the vanity table my Mom set up with vintage beauty items and costume jewelry.   I'm hopping someone got a better picture of this, I might be the worse photographer ever...I'm not even kidding!
Mom also threw this together, a plate hanger (forgotten about in the basement) with vintage hats thrown on it..."now that's something you can hang your hat on".
Notice the suitcases by the tree with the phone inside, also from the movie.
We borrowed the birdcage from my Mom-in-law and put a fake bird in it, just like in the movie.
"Breakfast at Tiffany's" was also showing on the small screen :)
This just happens to be the party scene. Stephanie is also a fan of the movie (as you can tell :) )My dad-in-law looks like he's watching the movie, but he was probably watching the chocolate fountain.  The chocolate fountain kept deciding to stop flowing, so he kept stirring it around to make it go...until we finally gave up on it :(  
Pre-party pic, but it shows Aubree in her big hat and Mom and Felicity decorating.
I disguised Aubree's gift from us, she didn't think she would get something from Tiffany's but I knew the sacks would give it away instantly...so we gave them to her in a shoe box.
We got her a "Please Return to Tiffany" necklace and matching earrings.  We had a 16 engraved on the back of the heart necklace...no returning it to Tiffany now, lol! She's wearing the necklace in the picture. She was so surprised!
Here is an aerial view, from the deck. Glad to see my Mom-in-law is taking pictures, I hope she got some better shots than I did.  Every party I spend half my time looking for my camera and the other half complaining that my battery is almost dead :)
:) four darling daughters :)
I think this is a better look for us than with the sombreros :)
Aubree's friend had to come late, but she was such a good sport and dressed up anyway.  
A close up of the table
A close up of the homemade cloth napkins
A close up of the masks
A close up of the vintage screen, you can see it in the background of the party pics with an Aubree banner on it.  I wanted to do a photo booth and use this for the screen, but it just didn't happen.  I also thought of some fun Tiffany-like games but they really just wanted to talk, eat, and then swim...so the games were out :) 
The party turned out great and in comparison with her previous parties, I would say...
This one "takes the cake" :)

10 comments:

  1. Hi! I stumbled across your blog when looking for ideas for my own Breakfast at Tiffany's-themed 16th birthday, and it was very helpful. I love the idea of having all the old-fashioned suitcases out for decoration! In the end of your post you mentioned that you had thought of some Tiffany-themed games, would you mind sharing them? I am having trouble coming up with activities on my own. Thank you very much!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, I'm glad it helped! One idea I had was to have a bag full of smooth rocks and "gems", give each girl a time limit like 15 seconds and have her pull out only the gems one at a time. There would be 16 gems and 3 times as many rocks. The idea would be to only pull out the gems and if a rock was pulled out, it would be the next persons turn.

      You could also set up a suitcase like the washer game. Each person would stand a set distance from the suitcase and try to throw in something Tiffany-like, fake diamond rings or beads. I'm not sure I mentioned this, but we also bought a box-full of cheap adjustable rings (the kind with heart, stars, moons on the top in different colors)and we painted over the rings with Tiffany blue (to include in the treat bags). The treat bags were white lunch sacks with pictures from the Breakfast at Tiffany's movie glued to them, folded over and hole punched and tied with Tiffany blue ribbon. Inside the treat bags were a box of cracker jacks, and a plastic cupcake (from Easter clearance isle) with the painted rings inside.

      This might take a little bit of thought, but you can find a couple of quotes from the movie and pull out the nouns and additives and make your own "mad libs". I might be kind of nerdy, but I always think those are fun!

      Good luck, let me know how it goes!

      Delete
  2. Thanks! :) This was really helpful. I'll definitely let you know how it goes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, can't wait to hear how it goes! Best of luck with your final preparations, I'm sure it will turn out fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi- it's me again! :) My party is now less than a month away (YAY!!!:)), but I am having a very hard time finding Tiffany blue colored plates, napkins, etc. Do you have any suggestions of where to find these?

      Thanks! :)

      Delete
    2. Oh my goodness...I replied at least three days ago (from my phone) and it isn't here! Sorry about that! I made the napkins from material I purchased at Hobby Lobby and hemmed the outside. I'm pretty sure I have most of them left, it wouldn't cost very much to ship them, if you want them let me know. The plates, were just cute black and white plates. Best of luck with your party, I'm sure it is going to turn out AWESOME :)

      Delete
  4. Oh thank you very much, but you don't need to do that. :) My mom and I are going shopping this weekend and I'm sure we'll find something there. :)The party is coming together nicely - I can't wait for it to happen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM!! These photos from Breakfast at Tiffany's 16th Birthday Party were superb. At one of the roof top LA venues we also would be hosting a bash for our son’s birthday celebrations. He will be 18 years old and loves music so a live music band has also been hired for the performance. I am sure he would love my surprise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds amazing! I hope a good time will be had by all!

      Delete

Blogging tips