Sunday, November 20, 2011

Teen Room Makeover

Too bad I didn't take before pictures, but picture this...an all white room, a bulletin board and a bunch of pictures, drawings, etc. all over the closet door.  Oh yes, and also a few marks on the walls from the previous owners from moving out their furniture and of course black mascara all over the floor from her littlest sister giving herself a "makeover".  Hailee had been complaining since we moved in that she didn't like her room because it was so boring.  Wow, how do you have a boring room with all the things kids have these days? Seriously!  When I was a teen, all I needed was a radio, a big mirror, a brush to sing in, add in makeup (fragile pink lipstick), nail polish (blue was big back then) and I was the star of my room!

I waited until a weekend she was gone, and transformed her room.  I had planned to makeover Hailee and Felicity's rooms but that ended up being more than I could tackle in one weekend. The first item I transformed was her trash can.   Add
some fake flowers...

...hot glue, and tada!  My inspiration for this came from her cousin Cate's lampshade which is covered in white roses.  For a teen room I thought she would like the splash of color.  The flowers ended up costing $7 and the trash can, which she already had, was $4. Not bad!

I used magnetic paint (where the rectangle is) and then painted over the rest of the wall a lilac and added deep purple trimmings.  At one point she said she wanted the whole room a deep purple, but hey, this is a surprise which means I get to choose :)  I found some magnetic letters and put them up which I know border lined on too young but I knew she would secretly like them and made sure to get two packs so she could spell her name with both e's.  She already had the lamp, and I used the colors in the lamp as a guide for the colors in her room. You can also see the deep purple rug which I think adds a nice accent!








I took all the "stuff" off her closet door 
and added dragonfly mirror accents. :)

She already had this comforter, we got it few weeks earlier, which she picked out herself.  I can't believe how well the paint matched the comforter, and this was just by chance.  I picked these colors because I liked them...I guess she did too!  I found the wall stickers at Target, it isn't as easy as it looks, they stick to the wall...and themselves, but it still turned out cute!  I kept the pink polk-a-dot curtains because she needed some pink to tie to the lamp...and I love polk-a-dots!




I also painted a whiteboard for her. You can tell that these pictures were taken after she saw the room and...she obviously loved the whiteboard!



When Hailee saw her room she: screamed, jumped up and down and cried!  
She was so happy and surprised. She loves her new fun and unboring room!
(I will just love it if she keeps it clean!)

1 comment:

  1. Love the whiteboard paint idea! I know I loved whiteboards when I was a kid...okay, I still love them...lol!

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips