Wednesday, November 16, 2011

They made it look so easy!

After living in our house for a little over 2 years, everyone's room is finally decorated and painted just like I like with the exception of one...Felicity's room.  Since it's the last room to do, I want to take my time and make sure that it is really awesome, since she had to wait the longest.  So I've been "out there" looking for cute and fun ideas.

I found this cute idea for a rug, using recycled t-shirts and a hula hoop for a frame.  What a fun idea and we love to recycle, so it's perfect.

Although hula-hooping is a dying sport, the girls have multiple hula hoops and are actually, very good at it (See link below)



I found the biggest hula hoop my fourdarlingdaughters had, there was a bonus, it lights up too.  Fun!

Felicity doesn't look that thrilled, but she didn't have the vision yet.
Basically, you cut the t-shirts into strips and loop them around the hula hoop.  You need 12 strips for the weave part and two of them you push together so that you have an odd amount (or the weave won't work)
This is the first piece we will actually weaved in.  You can see the other "projects" we have going on at the same time.  Not because of our issues with our attention span, but because when you say the word "project" Sadie knows where to go to get the beads, craft scissors and other project items from our project pasts!  We just let her go ahead and do that.

1. It's easier than arguing with a two year old.
2. She might actually come up with a creative idea :)

Here is Felicity, joining in on the fun.  She said it wasn't that she wasn't excited about our project earlier, she just wasn't picture ready. After a change of clothes and fixing her hair, she is ready to participate :)  
It's actually starting to look like something.  At this point Felicity is getting excited.  She is remembering the shirts that no longer fit her and thinks it's pretty cool that every time she looks at her new rug she will think of old times! The instructions said it would take 2 shirts, but then in the comments under the instructions it said 12 shirts.  It wasn't easy to come up with that many shirts, so we used some lounge pants and an old skirt too.
The instructions said to keep pushing down each layer and to keep the weaving tight.  I did that, in fact, I decided it wasn't tight enough at one point, that I unweaved half of the rug and wove it tighter.  I wanted it to be perfect!...and that was my downfall...
This is the "good" side!
 I think I made it too tight!  I would have been better off keeping it on the hula hoop, like everyone in the house thought I was going to do! I had to keep explaining, that that would be ridiculous to have to step over the hula hoop part of the rug.  So instead, this is what we get!
Sadie asked me what is was and I told her a bowl big enough for her.
Felicity, Sadie, Felicity (Sadie's baby) and Felicity's new "rug".
I might make this "rug" into a pouf, or start over, but I should probably keep the hula hoops in this house for its original purpose...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGXCiz-hh4U Aubree trying to teach Sadie to hula hoop!






1 comment:

  1. Sadie is so big and she looks just like her daddy! Adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips