Sunday, January 16, 2011

My Royals Shirt is on Which Means Someone's Dying!

I'm wearing my Kansas City Royals t-shirt which is two sizes too big.  Proudly wearing #24 Teahen, not only do I not look like Mark Teahen (former Royals 3rd Baseman) I also do not look like a professional baseball player or professional anything right now.  Wearing this shirt can mean one of two things, I'm either painting the walls or someone is getting their hair dyed.  I've not been professionally trained to do this, my formal training for this comes from being an Accountant who realizes the value of a dollar.  No sense spending $40-$60 to have the girls' hair dyed when I can do it myself for $6.

Aubree-born with black hair, turned to blonde from 10 months to 2 1/2 then grew darker until ending at a light to medium brown. She has decided that she should be able to turn her hair what ever color she wants since it naturally turned back and forth and it's used to changing anyway.  At 12 she got a few highlights but this year at 14 she's had it blonde, blonder, light red and then dark brown.

Hailee-born with light brown hair got lighter everyday until it was bright blonde and curly.  As she got older it started turning a darker blonde but this year at 12 she decided that since Aubree got highlights at 12 she should be able to have her hair dark brown.  So I put my Royals shirt back on and Hailee's hair was brown.  I really thought she would not like it and she would be ready to go back to blonde, not the case, so we dyed it dark brown again 8 weeks later after it started to grow out and fade.  Today she decided that she wanted to see what red hair would look like, so she bought a temporary red dye and a temporary brown dye (just in case she didn't like it) with her Sally's gift card.  Temporary as in 4-6 weeks, to clarify.  We barely pulled into the garage when she started in, "can we do it tonight, please can we do it tonight, it will make me so happy..." She immediately ran upstairs and washed her hair to prepare for the dying and I went to my closet and removed my Mark Teahen shirt from my top shelf.  The shirt stays on the top self because I'm afraid to wash it.  Not because it's a good luck shirt or anything like that, in fact there have been a lot of failures in this shirt (a few dozen tears and a couple of panic double dyings).  I don't want to wash the shirt by itself and I'm afraid it may ruin other clothes.  So every time I'm finished with the dying process, I wear it (carefully) until the dye drys and then I throw it on the top shelf of my closet.

So tonight, while I'm dying Hailee's hair she says, "I don't think I'm going to like it. I'm really nervous. I think you are probably going to have to redye it again tonight with the brown."  I tried to keep her calm but then as I was washing it I noticed it was brown, really brown, just like it was 25 minutes before.  I was afraid to tell her..."Hailee, I don't think it worked.  Your hair still looks brown."  She let out a big sigh, "That's fine, I was worried anyway.  That's completely fine."

As her hair was deep conditioning, I thought...this isn't right, it never really looked red.  So, I found the bottle of dye and...yep, one more failure for the Teahen shirt.  I had used the wrong dye!  I thought she would find it funny and ironic since she had basically decided she didn't want it red. Nope, now she wants it red!  So tomorrow night I will celebrating MLK day by diversifying Hailee's hair once again...in my Mark Teahen shirt!

2 comments:

  1. Great title! Reminds me of the movies I love that have a twisted surprise ending!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The even bigger surprise is that I ended up dying her hair with the right dye late last night. Her hair isn't red, but her scalp is!

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips