Sunday, March 13, 2011

Here is the Handle and Here is the Spout!

Monkey bread was made and waiting for us when we got home from work on Thursday.  What a nice surprise...the bigger surprise is that Hailee made it!  Hailee doesn't cook! Hailee doesn't ever cook!  When she is hungry she talks someone else into making her something to eat. 

Being out of school sick Monday and Wednesday, she didn't get to cook with the rest of her FACS class.  To make up for missing the cooking assignments, she had to cook for us and then we had to email her teacher to confirm that she actually cooked.

As it turned out the Monkey Bread was microwaved.  Really?  How Awesome!  It was actually good, I just never realized that canned biscuits could be "baked" in the microwave.  She looked so proud of herself and with a huge smile on her face she said, "Now, I can make my kids microwave pizza and monkey bread!"   
(Sounds nutritionally balanced :) )

Monkey Bread

1 can refrigerator biscuits
4 tbsp. butter
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
Place a glass in the center of an 8x8 glass baking dish and drop butter in the dish.  Microwave butter 1 1/2 minutes on high until melted.  Stir in brown sugar and cinnamon.  Cut biscuits in 4 quarters and coat in mixture.  Arrange biscuit chucks around glass in dish.  Microwave 4 to 5 minutes on high or until biscuits are slightly firm to touch.
Later that night, Hailee surprised us again with Oreo Ice Cream Treats!
They tasted like Oreo Blizzards!  Delicious! 

4 cups Vanilla Ice Cream
2 cups Milk
10 Oreos

We don't have a mixer so she used the food processor.  I sent Hailee to the basement to retrieve the food processor, but she had no idea what she was looking for. 

Hailee: What is a food processor?
Aubree: It's the thing Mom used when she was canning
Hailee: Well, how am I supposed to know what a food processor looks like.

I had to laugh, I thought this was just something you were born knowing!  Guess not.

She came back, box and all, with the food processor a few minutes later and began to assemble it. 

Hailee: What is this thing on the side, it looks like a spout.
Me: I don't know, I don't think it's a spout.  I would remember it having a spout.
Hailee: I'm going to put a glass under it just in case.
Me: Good idea!
Hailee: I'm scared to turn it on.  Can you do it first?
Me: It's not a big deal, just slide this button over.
Hailee: It's not working.

I can't get it to turn on either.  I thought maybe it was the plug in so I moved it to the plug in by the stove.  It still wasn't working and realized it wasn't "locked".  I thought I was going to break it when I finally heard it snap into place.  I slid the button over and...yes it is a spout and yes I did forget to move the glass when I moved the whole thing (milk everywhere)...
We moved the food processor back where it was and Hailee finished the mixture (while I cleaned up the spilled milk. No I didn't cry about it, lol)...with a glass under the spout.  Delicious!

Updated Recipe:

Oreo Hurricanes

4 cups Vanilla Ice Cream
1 1/2 cups Milk
10 Oreo Cookies
Mix with a food processor for a few seconds. scoop or pour mixture into cups and sprinkle Oreo crumbs on top.

Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips