Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Kaleidoscope

I think it was 2nd grade...we all gathered into one of the 2nd grade class rooms and watched a film strip. No, it wasn't "your changing body" or anything like that. It was basically an advertisement for Kaleidoscope.  Kaleidoscope looked like heaven to a roomful of 7 and 8 year olds, a heaven where you could make your own puzzles and look into crazy mirrors.  I remember the teachers saying, "wouldn't this be a wonderful field trip?"  We were all so pumped about this place we couldn't stand it.  Recess was filled with talk about the first thing we would do when we got there.  Even though the teachers wouldn't just come right out and say it, we knew we would be going to Kaleidoscope for our field trip!  I mean why else would they show us that film strip?

Yes, why did they show us that film strip?  The year came and went, and we never went to Kaleidoscope.  We went somewhere else for our end-of-the-year field trip.  Where did we go?  I have no idea!  I don't remember!  I only remember it wasn't Kaleidoscope!

Now here is where I must explain this place in more detail to all my friends in Springfield, Missouri. The Kaleidoscope in K.C. is a place that kids can go make cards, pictures, puzzles, door hangings, etc. The supplies are Hallmark leftovers.  You get an hour to create beautiful items which you get to take home and it's completely free.  Wow!

Now here is where I must explain to my friends in K.C. why I'm explaining this in such detail to my friends in Springfield. If you live in Springfield, Kaleidoscope to you is where you go get your body pierced or tattooed or get a t-shirt that you wouldn't be allowed to wear to school.  It's locally owned and has been in Springfield for almost 40 years. Wow!

Even though it was never our field trip, I did eventually end up going to Kaleidoscope but it was after I had my own kids.  I've now been several times and I still think it's amazing.  When my kids are too old to go, I'm going to borrow other people's kids so I can keep going and not look like the weirdo that's there without kids!

Sadie being 7 weeks away from turning 2, it was time to introduce her to Kaleidoscope! So, last Saturday, everyone in our family, except Hailee, went to Kaleidoscope. The one in K.C., she isn't allowed to get her tongue pierced until she is 4...lol!

Making a crown...at the Crown (Crown Center)
I'm not sure what they're going to wear with these.  You have to have the right kind of outfit on to look right in a crown. :)
We love it here!
This was Sadie's favorite thing!  She was pushing buttons and making music.
Silly mirror...just liked I'd always imagined!
I still think it is amazing every time I go!  I'm glad it lived up to all my anticipation!

So friends in Springfield, when I tell you that we took our darling daughters to Kaleidoscope and they did everything there, that there is to do... you now know that all the art work is on puzzles and paper with the exemption of the self-inflicted marker marks on Sadie's hands!

2 comments:

  1. Great pictures! Is Science City still in business? If so I want to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think so! I want to go too! I've been to the Science Center in St. Louis and thought it was awesome but haven't been to Science City. I'm guessing they are similar.

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips