Wednesday, August 22, 2012

DIY Table Transformation

While Brandi was up, we also picked up my mom and went to my favorite antique store.  While we were there my mom found this table that she thought I needed (either she forgot that she is the one with the table-thing or she has run out of table room...probably the later).  I was unsure but I did like the curved legs...and I needed something for my diagonal wall.  Brandi told me later that she kind of liked it, but didn't really like the curved legs, ha! Mom said, put it under the girls picture on the diagonal wall (hmm...same place I was thinking), and if you have any of the paint left from the picture "frame", paint the table the same color. I start to visualize it...

me: mmm, how much is it
Mom: $10
me: Sold!

It will be a fun project for Brandi and me, so I'll risk the $10.

Here is the table, put in the exact place I want it to go.
Our paint clothes are on and we're ready for the table transformation
First we sanded it all over, so that the paint would stick!
Next we spray painted the table with a darker blue
We let it dry over night and then brush-painted on the Tiffany color (left over from Aubree's party).  Once it was dry, I used the palm sander again and distressed it. I thought at this point I might ruin it but I kept reminding myself that it's a $10 table :) It's impossible to ruin a $10 table :) It's difficult to see the distressness of the table...it's a little more obvious in the picture above.  Notice the edges and the worn lines on the flat surfaces.
Here is the finished product.  The picture is a $10 poster and the frame was repurposed from Sadie and Aubree's parties, which was repurposed from an old window frame and chicken wire.  I flipped it to the "wrong" side so that the picture would fit better (clipped on with mini clothespins) and it looked a little rougher.  The book is On Oregon Trail, I had purchased it in elementary from the used book sale (wow, guess I've always been thrifty :) ) I tied the book with jute and topped it with a flower hair clip that Brandi had made. 
When Dustin got home, I got to play my favorite game, "How much do you think this cost?" :)




5 comments:

  1. I liked the way your table turned out. It goes good there with the girls picture and adds color to the room.And if you get tired of it you can paint it a different color and put it somewhere else! Tables are good to have!!! Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you suggested the color. If I get tired of the color and want to change it, guess who I'm gonna call :)

      Delete
  2. I didn't love the curved legs either, until you painted it, now I think it is ADORABLE! you're so crafty, wish I had some of that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't love the curved legs either, until you painted it, now I think it is ADORABLE! you're so crafty, wish I had some of that! :) Meghan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thanks, Meghan! I'm sure being creative is last on your "things to do list" right now, unless it's creative ways to self-induce labor, lol! :)

      Delete

Blogging tips