Saturday, August 25, 2012

Possum Belly Bakers Cabinet

If were at a garage sale and you saw a "work bench" that looked like this...
Would you buy it for $1?

My mom did, but she also realized that it wasn't really meant to be a work bench; in fact, it is a possum belly bakers cabinet. The drawers are out of it here so it is difficult to see that the two bottom drawers (on top of the top drawers in the picture) are deep rounded tin (on the inside, to keep rodents out) drawers that they used to store flour.

Since I don't know anything about these cabinets and my mom is the one that performed this marvelous transformation, I asked her to write about the process that she went through:

"The time on my table I don't know about. I just worked on it when I had a few hours to spare before I got too hot outside. The paint was that old lead paint so I had to drag all the pieces outside to work on it. I finished it within 2 weeks. Mostly working 2 or 3 hours a night. The paint stripper I started with I didn't have very good results with and went thru a whole can of it. I got a paint and epoxy stripper and that seem to go a little faster. I think someone had applied some kind of antiquing varnish over the top of the old green paint which made it really hard to get off. I did some sanding with a palm sander plus sanding some by hand also. The grooves on the legs were the hardest to get the paint out of. The boards on the top we had to remove because it was being used as a work bench and had oil and grease on it. I found the enamel top at a flea market for $25.00. Which was really lucky because it is bigger than the usual size. It was 48 inches long. The top is a little worn but just adds to the charm of it. What I think is really neat about the cabinet was apparently the person that used it (most likely the housewife) was definitely right handed because the top of the right top drawer where she opened it without using the handle was worn down considerably! I wish I could know who owned the table, if she was like my Grandma and made biscuits everyday on the breadboard and covered them after the meal with a tablecloth and Grandpa would grab one or two out  with a piece of sausage when he came in for a break from the fields. A funny story : When my Grandma sent 2 of my aunts to the house to make biscuits for supper and they messed up the ingredients and was scared to tell Grandma what they did because they had wasted the lard and flour which was hard to come by in those days. They were afraid they was gonna get a whipping so they went out and dug a hole under a bush and buried it! They made a new batch and never did tell anyone even as adults till after Grandma died!!! How things have changed over the years! Anyway, that's my deal about the possum belly cabinet".
Notice the rounded "possum belly" drawers.  This looks amazing!  Mom was amused by my mentioning her table-thing and said, "Yes I guess I do have a table-thing. I consider it my rescue effort for them instead of them going to the trash or wherever. How's that for an excuse!??"  I love it! Save the Plant, Save the Whales, and Save the Tables :)  

These cabinets (on ebay) are listed  in the amounts of $300 to $1500!  

13 comments:

  1. Your bakers table is beautiful. I am also working on a possumbelly bakers rack. Yes the legs are terrible to get the paint out. I believe mine has more spindles than the one shown. I'm using denture toothbrush and steel brush that looks like a denture brush along with a stripper that i got at Westlakes that does not have the fumes and is less messy. Any tips would be much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More spindles sounds very pretty! The steel wool sounds like a great idea, but I'm not the expert. I will ask my Mom if she has any tips for you and have her reply! If you want to show off your hard work when you finish, or your progression... send pics...I would love to see it! Sorry it took so.long to.reply, I didn't receive an email notification like I usually do.

      Delete
    2. I meant steel brush :) I've tried using the stripper that is supposed to be less harmful (it had a citrus smell to it) but it never bubbled up for me like it was supposed to. I hope you have better luck with it!

      Delete
    3. Thanks for getting back with me. Slow process. I contacted a gentleman that has redone a couple projects for me and he said to get a copper brush usually sold at Westlakes and to keep applying the stripper. I will send pictures when it is completed. Again thanks for your reply.

      Delete
    4. The only helpful hints I can give are to use a brass brush, it won't scratch the wood as bad. I also used 00 steel wool( I went thru a whole bag of those) Also a flexible metal putty knife to take off the paint, or you can use a flexible metal kitchen spatula that you use to put icing on cakes. Be sure it is flexible so it won't dig into your wood. Hope this helps. Good luck with your project and I look forward to seeing pictures of the finished cabinet! Jeni's Mom

      Delete
    5. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    6. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Hi there! I too have purchased a possum belly hutch/cabinet...I was curious what you used to restore the possum belly base of the bottom drawers? Mine are worn through and I am contemplating using Lauan plywood which seems to be pliable enough for the curvature. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Victoria! The possum belly cabinet that my mom refinished happened to have drawers in excellent shape (I think she got pretty lucky considering the age of it) The bottom of the drawers are metal and hers had some surface rust which (if I understood her correctly) she sanded and then painted over in black. The sides of the drawer was plywood. As far as using the plywood for the curved part of the drawer, that could be a possibility. My husband curved plywood using c-clamps and my clothes steamer for the teardrop trailer galley. So I know that can be done. There is a link to his build thread regarding the teardrop trailer in the blog entry "project 1 teardrop trailer" he probably has some good pictures there showing the process that he went through to bind it. Good luck with your cabinet! I would love to see pictures of your finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was given one in great condition and just love it. Your Mom did a great job at restoring this lovely piece. Mine is a drop leaf style in original unpainted condition and I was wondering if you know the date of these might be?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was given one in great condition and just love it. Your Mom did a great job at restoring this lovely piece. Mine is a drop leaf style in original unpainted condition and I was wondering if you know the date of these might be?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debbie in Northern CASeptember 5, 2020 at 1:14 PM

    I just came home with one my cousin bought years ago. I love it! Just found out what it was actually called. Has the two bottom bins and one in the top section. Does anyone know where these originated from?

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips